We have developed some very special trips and classes, featuring experiences we know you’ll love. Or, contact Mimi to create something just for you and/or your group.
Finding Your Way: Basics in Navigation with Vicky Kent and Keaton Welch
Need to find your way in the outdoors? Join us at Touch the Earth Adventures Retreat as we return to the basics of using maps, compasses and combining the two. Ensuring that, no matter where you are, you can find yourself and where you want to go. Course instructors, Vicky Kent and Keaton Welch, are Recreation Studies Graduate Students at Ohio University. Vicky has taught navigation skills internationally. Keaton regularly teaches wilderness navigation at Ohio University, in addition to his years of international and US navigation experience.
When: Sunday April 28, 10:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
Cost: $65 per person (lunch provided)
Location: Athens, OH
Contact Mimi: 740-591-9094 by phone or text or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration: Send $45 deposit to hold reservation to: Touch the Earth Adventures, PO Box 326, Athens, OH 45701. Payment due by April 21.
Get to Know a Tree with Ann Bonner
Trees MAKE GREAT FRIENDS AND TEACHERS! Ohio is home to a wide diversity of native trees. Learning to identify them can be challenging and fun. Knowing trees gives us glimpse into the quiet but amazing world that is the mixed mesophytic forests of Ohio. Learn tree identification basics with Ann Bonner, Ohio Department of Natural Resources Regional Urban Forester by observing the bark, twigs and buds of the winter landscape.
I appreciate the work Ann Bonner does for trees that she loves and knows so well. Please come to make friends with the trees.
When: Sunday January 13, 1:00- 3:30 p.m.
Begin with refreshments and an hour power point for Ann to introduce
you to tree biology and anatomy. Then we’ll be outside and see how
trees work in real life and what they are. We’ll do a fifteen minute wrap
up and hot refreshments to conclude.
Location: Touch the Earth Adventures Retreat
Contact Mimi: 740-591-9094 by phone or text or email email@example.com
Registration: Send $35 deposit to hold reservation to:
Touch the Earth Adventures, PO Box 326, Athens, OH 45701 and balance of $20 at event.
When you walk with a tree you will never walk alone!
Women’s Water Workout Conditioning By Kayak
Imagine a workout on water with fresh air in your lungs, morning light awakening your senses and gliding over glistening water by kayak. Imagine your body becoming firmer and your energy level lifting you into the day. Incorporate a once a week kayak fitness workout into your life. Kayaking from the core is the basis for conditioning. Madison Donohue will lead us in our workout which consists of 30 minutes of body weight exercises and stretching at Strouds Run every Wednesday morning of September from 7-8 a.m. minutes of kayaking followed by 30
● September 6th, 13th, 20th, 27th. October 4th (rain date)
● Four weeks of kayak and fitness instruction for $200. $160 for BYOB (bring your own boat) Must have a minimum of 5 participants.
● Information: contact Mimi Morrison (740)-591-9094 or firstname.lastname@example.org
● To register: send $ 100 deposit to Touch the Earth Adventures PO Box 326 , Athens, OH 45701. Balance due September 1st.
- First Spring Paddle: See the first redbud in fresh bloom. Price is $50 or with own kayak is $35. Refreshments are also included. Location is at Fox Lake, Athens, OH on April 14th.
- Searching for Birds: Kayak along the Burr Oak Lake and spot birds led by Stefan Gleissberg. Cost is $75 per person or $45 for own kayak on May 4th.
- Defrag Your Mind: Spend the day with Touch the Earth Adventures and Margaret Quamme by hiking in the forest of Athens, OH for writing and reflecting. Included is an opportunity to improve your written expression with Margaret who has been a writer for decades with the Columbus Dispatch. Following is a cookout and a full moon kayaking at night. Price is $55 on May 18th.
- Summer Solstice Kayaking: Awaken to the summer dawn with a two-hour paddle in the morning daybreak mist with coffee and rolls on the water on June 21st from 5:30-7:30 a.m. $45 per person or $35 with own kayak located on Strouds Run State Park.
- Paddle Into The Wild Watershed: A three-hour paddle into the winding wild country with eagles, egrets, bald cypress and more on Burr Oak Lake. Included is lunch, coffee and tea on a gravel bar. Price is $65 per person or $35 for own kayak on June 23rd.
- Welcome Back Kayaking Day: Celebrate the return of spring with this relaxing afternoon paddle, guaranteed to deliver some of southeastern Ohio’s best wildflower and wildlife viewing. Everyone is invited to bring a lunch for a noon picnic together on the beach before our paddle.
- Earth Day Sunrise Paddle: Start your day with this tribute to Mother Earth. We’ll surround ourselves with her magnificence, then enjoy music, coffee and snacks on the beach after our paddle.
- Friends of Strouds Shoreline Cleanup: Please join us for a volunteer clean up hike along the shore and a special afternoon of giving back to Mother Earth.
- Paddle Extravaganza at Hoover Reservoir: Don’t miss this rare chance to kayak in (well, almost) the Capital City. Join us for a morning or afternoon paddling adventure and explore the inlets and wildlife habitats that aren’t accessible from dry land. There’s also a full moon paddle both nights.
- Summer Solstice Paddle: Whether you’re a morning person or a night owl, we’ve got you covered. Join us for one (or two!) of these summer kayak trips celebrating summer’s light. Choose from a sunrise or sunset paddle.
- Birding Hike
- Birding by Kayak: Julie Davis, past president of Columbus Audubon, joins us to share her enthusiasm and knowledge of birds large and small. Trips last three hours. Kayaks, pfds, paddles provided. No experience necessary. Birders of all levels welcome!
- Full Moon Paddles: Sunset’s glowing colors shower onto the water surrounding your kayak as dusk slowly encompasses you. Paddle east quietly until the moon rises on the horizon and transforms into a full moon, sending a stream of light across the water before you. We’ll paddle for two hours, with a stop along the way to have snacks. No experience needed and all equipment, instruction and snacks are provided. Dates are: April 18th, 19th and 20th. May 16th, 17th and 18th. June 15th, 16th and 17th. Price is $55 per person or $35 with own kayak and includes a guided trip, kayak, paddle, pfd, lights and refreshments served on the water.
SPRING RIVER TRIPS
- Kayak with Ben Wesier: Learn the night sky and see Jupiter, Venus and constellations while kayaking led by the young emerging astronomer. Don’t miss this chance. Ben is in the OSU astronomy program and has trained with astronomers over several years. $65 includes: sky program, kayak, paddle, pfd, snacks. Date to be announced in June.
- Kayak with Katrina and Bats: Don’t miss this opportunity to learn all about bats with Katrina, who is a Bat Specialist at Wayne National Forest. Kayak and listen for bats echolocation. Get the chance to hear bats on receivers as we watch them circle around our kayaks overhead. Scheduled for June 29th, priced $65 per person or $35 with own kayak. Located at Burr Oak State Park.
- Licking River Adventure Through Blackhand Gorge State Nature Preserve: The Blackhand Gorge area was visited by the mound builders and Middle Woodland Native Americans, and traveling through this serene river gorge evokes a sense of those who quietly tread here thousands of years ago. We’ll paddle through the beautiful gorge of mountain laurel, sandstone cliffs and hillsides of hardwoods, and pass old remains of the more recent history of the Ohio-Erie Canal. Trip includes lunch, shuttle and all equipment. Previous paddling experience required.
- Hocking River Adventure: Wind your way down the Hocking River for a slightly more challenging adventure. Lose yourself in its giant riverbank trees and learn about local history as you paddle the same route the Native Americans once used. Watch for ducks, heron, turtles, deer and osprey. Spot the remains of old mills and stone foundations of railroad bridges, reminding us of the pioneers who settled this valley by way of this river. Restful stops on sandbars to stretch, have lunch and share laughter complete the experience. Trip includes lunch on a sand bar, shuttle and all equipment. Previous paddling experience required.
We can customize unforgettable nature-based tours that are ideal for men, women and children of all ages and abilities, including young children, people in wheelchairs or any group or individual. We are skilled at working with groups, including the following:
- Women’s and Men’s group